Purpose of Parish Pastoral Councils
Parish Pastoral Councils enable priests and people to work together to build up dynamic Christian communities that are characterised by faith, evangelisation, worship and service. To this end they discern what is best for the parish in light of the gospel, the church’s teaching and what the Holy Spirit is saying through the People of God.
The major tasks of the council include:
- Reflection & Planning : Discerning the needs of the parish community and involving the whole parish in response to the needs.
- Animation : Enabling the baptised to discover their call as disciples of Christ by discerning the gifts of the parishioners and developing them through the provision of training and on-going formation.
- Action : Providing structures that will marry the needs of the parish with the gifts and resources in the parish.
- Communication : Ensuring that effective dialogue takes place within the parish, the diocese and the wider community.
- Evaluation : Reviewing the life and activities of the parish so that parishioners might have a sense of proceeding towards bringing about the reign of God.
Source: Ferguson, J. (2005) ‘A handbook for parish pastoral councils’. Columba Press, Dublin.
About Newry Parish Pastoral Council
Newry Parish Pastoral Council was first formed in June 2011. Members are expected to serve a minimum of three years and a maximum of six. A new Parish Council was recruited during April 2017 and commissioned on Sunday 28th May 2017. The new Parish Council term began in June 2017. The council meets once monthly from September to June each year.
Current Parish Pastoral Council Members
President: Fr. Desmond Loughran ADM
Chair: Appointment Pending
Vice Chair: Appointment Pending
Secretary: Brian O’Donnell
Ex officio members
Fr. Krsysztof Kosciolek SChr
Fr. Cesare Decio OP
Fr Robert Markuszewski
Parish Pastoral Council Annual Report 2015/16
Contact the Parish Pastoral Council
Please contact the parish office if you have a query relating to the Parish Pastoral Council.